Tuesday, December 7, 2010

MOVING AGAIN

My friend, Marianne, says "never say never or always." Okay, I won't, but I will say I hope I never, ever move again in my entire life. And yes, that means I'm prepared to live in Canton for however long forever is. By the time Mary is ready to retire, I'll be 70 (gasp!), and I can't imagine uprooting and starting over at that age. I'm adjusting to the idea that Canton is home. Canton is home. Canton is home.

I've mailed my official notification of my intention to retire one year from now. After I return from Semester at Sea, I'll be busy trying to find ways to make myself a life here after St. Lawrence. I'm beginning to broaden my horizons in the north country. My work with hospice is the most fulfilling work I do. I love the people there. I suspect I'll do some adjunct work if SLU will have me. I'm likely to miss teaching just enough to teach one course per term. That would be fun.

I'm very excited about my new house. I'm excited about moving back to the village. If I can get through the next few days without falling apart (moving does that to me), I expect to have a long and fruitful life for the rest of my life in Canton.

Moving in the snow. We seem to love doing things the hard way. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment