Sunday, February 20, 2011

BIRDS, ETC.

The early bird doesn't always get the worm, even if it really tries. There are occasions when some late sleeper happens to awaken at just the right time. It sees the worm upon which that early bird has its eye, and simply swoops on that worm and enjoys the work of the still-hungry early bird. It's not fair. The early bird deserved that worm. It worked for it. It earned it. The only bird that cares about this injustice is the early bird who lost the worm.

"Don't you care about your legacy? Doesn't it matter that folks think you're loud, abrasive and far too outspoken?" There was a room full of people of color in a place that had fewer than 5 many years ago. No one has worked harder to make that room possible. Does it matter that no one cares? A little. Does it matter that the sleeping birds, the good birds, the quiet and acquiescent birds; the birds that just sleep; the birds that never chirp or get up early, are the birds who get the worms? A little. Few birds get what they deserve.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to think I really feel you on this, but I think I only do a little right now, not for lack of desire. I've been somehow connected to education all but 3 years of my conscious life, and I'm sure I've affected my students, but far less sure anyone gives a crap about any attempts I've made to work on diversity, social justice, etc. Certainly not at my present place of employment... I'll send ya a personal message about the latest manifestation of passive racism and its excuse-makers... cheep, my sister (if I may be honored to call you such), cheep on.

    ReplyDelete