Monday, April 26, 2010

"HEAD NEGRO IN CHARGE"

HNIC is not a honorary title. It's not bestowed. HNIC is "earned" in particular contexts. For example, though one can be an HNIC in a predominantly Black environment, it's not likely. There are very specific qualifications for an HNIC:

-An HNIC must master the English language
-An HNIC must speak truth as he/she sees it, even when that truth isn't popular.
-An HNIC must be forthright.
-An HNIC must be willing to be wounded.
-An HNIC must suffer the loss of friends.
-An HNIC must speak "on behalf" of those who refuse or feel unable to speak for themselves.
-An HNIC must be willing to be unappreciated by Whites and the community of color.
-An HNIC must be willing to be accused of terrible things.
-An HNIC must be willing to be shunned, silenced and sanctioned.
-An HNIC must be willing to be labeled all those nasty things to which I referred in my first blog.
-An HNIC makes people tired--tired of hearing about race and injustice, oppression and discrimination. S/he is like a "broken record."
-An HNIC must be willing to be "in trouble" with "superiors" often.
-An HNIC sometimes questions his or her sanity.
-An HNIC is accused of being "uncivil" ized.
-An HNIC cries more than anyone can ever imagine.
-An HNIC often feels alienated and alone. Sometimes their work makes them ill.

And that brings us to my brother, RF. He was an HNIC--a Latino HNIC and taking on that mantle almost killed him, and I mean that literally.

But before I get to that, I've got to do some HNIC business. Bold and brazen racism occurring all around me now. People are scared and angry. Integrity has been tossed. Expediency is the word of the day. Finding my phone booth to change into my HNIC uniform. Just kidding, y'all. Wish I could hide my identity, but it just doesn't work in that way. Later.

1 comment: