Tuesday, April 27, 2010

NOTE FROM A WHITE PERSON WHO GETS IT

"so i heard the news, and I just wept---but they were bitter and angry tears---not because s/he got through but that s/he got through this way. i kept thinking about how fucking tired you must be."

This is my kinda "white liberal." This "white liberal" gets it. This "white liberal" has done a good job of putting him/herself in my shoes; looking at the situation through my eyes, my experiences. And don't think that "my" means me. This colleague understands the depth and complexity of the struggle. What has been lost. We have forfeited our dignity and our respect; we have sold our souls for a pittance.

My sisters and brothers are not rejoicing. They are silent. Mourning isn't as noisy as rejoicing. It is, however, as real. Remembering Fannie Lou Hamer, Rosa Parks, Angela Davis, Audre Lorde and all the women who were victorious for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment