Wednesday, April 28, 2010

THIS IS MY STORY

I've received more unsolicited advice in the past few days than I have in a long time. There are those who believe I'm angry with some human somewhere; others think my stories are about them. They respond to what they think I think. They know me so well that they interpret my words and feelings with precision, and they write--willing and able to point out all of my failings and my shortsightedness. If I only understood patriarchy, brilliance, friendship and even love. What you is ask that I assume your point of view, your position. But I am not you. I will never be you, and you can't tell me how to write my story. So lest you think this is about you or you or him or her, let me assure you that this is my story. The precipitating event was only that--a precipitating event. My post elicited an amazing number of varied responses. Mind you, my post wasn't simply a shot in the dark, I refer to a person I have known and sometimes loved for more years than any of the responders, and I'm not talking about an acquaintance or passing knowledge, I'm talking about a deep and long relationship unlike any I've had with the responders. But "liberal"white women apparently know everything, and their knowledge far exceeds mine. Never mind that she and I are both black, southern women. All that matters is what they know. Ask me no questions. Make your judgments. If you're not interested in my point of view, then don't read my blog.

I can talk about anything except race. Even among "liberals," race is a taboo topic. So here's the thing: When I initiate a conversation on race, white woman always stop me. They remind me that there is also "gender oppression." Umm, I look down at my D-cup breast, and, the words of Sojourner Truth come to mind: "Ain't I a woman?" Well, yeah. I am, so I don't need nobody to tell me about "gender oppression." At the moment, gender oppression ain't my topic. My topic is race. If I'm allowed to continue my conversation about race (and sometimes I'm not), some white lesbian in the room reminds me that gays, lesbians and transgender people are discriminated against. I pause, yet again, reminding all present that I am also a very "out" lesbian, but "I ain't talking about sexuality right now, I'm talking about race." As I continue, one of these socially conscious women will stop me yet again. This time it's social class--"class oppression." Let me tell y'all something: I know what it is to be hungry; I've lost more teeth than I care to admit because my parents couldn't afford dental care; I have worked since I was 15 years old. So don't bother to tell me about "class oppression." Let me talk about race 'cause race needs to be a constant topic of conversation in this country, especially at a time when so many people argue that "racism no longer exists" or, even worse, "we've made so much progress. Obama.... you know." What I know is that racism in the academy is alive, well and thriving. There are more GLBTQ, more women and more formerly "working-class" faculty on campuses than there are African-Americans. So I'm just gonna keep right on talking, ya hear? Later.

1 comment:

  1. We're lucky to get to hear your story. You go right ahead and talk about what YOU want to talk about--I for one will definitely be listening, and grateful!

    ReplyDelete